Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Experimental Zucchini/Apple Bread

Mmm...butter
Ok, I'm almost finished rereading The Age of Innocence. It's been a busy summer for me, so I've been a slower reader than usual. Anyway, this post, as the title suggests, is actually about baking. My mom gave me some zucchini from my stepfather's garden (it's good to know your farmer). I found a zucchini bread recipe that I copied by hand years ago (origin unknown) that called for a cup of zucchini. But after shredding my zucchini, I found that I didn't quite have a cupful. So I shredded an apple, and added that to the zucchini to get a cupful. Then, I realized that I only had half a cup of white sugar (my recipe called for a cup...I obviously did not plan ahead very well). So I added half a cup of brown sugar, and hoped for the best. The result was actually really good. Here's the recipe below, with my changes:

Experimental Zucchini/Apple Bread
1 ½ cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
¾ cup grated zucchini
¼ cup grated apple
⅔ cup nuts (I used pecans)

Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease and flour pan (I used an 8x8 baking pan). Add flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon to a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the egg, vegetable oil, sugar, and vanilla extract. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir. Add grated zucchini, grated apple, and nuts. Bake for 40 – 60 minutes. Let it cool off for 5 minutes, then devour.

No comments:

Post a Comment