Monday, May 27, 2013

Murder on the Orient Express

Wacky manicure.
Author: Agatha Christie

Category: This is the first time I have read this book. I wanted to read a mystery, and Agatha Christie was the best at writing them.

My thoughts: Really good! This book kept me guessing until the end, and the ending definitely surprised me. I have only read one other Agatha Christie novel, And Then There Were None. And I have to say, I like Murder on the Orient Express more.

Murder on the Orient Express takes place on the Stamboul-Calais coach of the Orient Express (Stamboul is an alternate name for Istanbul). When the train is stopped by a snowdrift in Vincovci (which is in what used to be Yugoslavia and what is currently Croatia), a man named Ratchett is killed (every time I read his name, I thought of the slang term). The director of the train, Monsieur Bouc, recruits his detective friend Hercule Poirot, who happens to be on the train, to help solve the mystery of Ratchett's death. The case involves a kidnapping that occurred years earlier and is reminiscent of the Lindbergh baby kidnapping. I think it’s difficult to write about a mystery, because one doesn’t want to give away the ending. So this post will be a bit short. But, as I said before, I liked Murder on the Orient Express a lot. Agatha Christie has a lot of dry humor, and the story is very well-written and well-paced. I definitely want to read more Agatha Christie mysteries in the future. I hear Death on the Nile is good.

Great passage: The examination was quickly over. Mrs. Hubbard was travelling with the minimum of luggage—a hat-box, a cheap suitcase, and a well-burdened travelling bag. The contents of all three were simple and straightforward, and the examination would not have taken more than a couple of minutes had not Mrs. Hubbard delayed matters by insisting on due attention being paid to photographs of “my daughter” and of two rather ugly children—“my daughter’s children. Aren’t they cunning?”

Up next: When We Were Colored

No comments:

Post a Comment